OPINION | I need to unlearn a lot of things that i have learnt from "emajiteng"

I grew up around grootmans: guys who were older than me. Every grootman that i met had his own idea of family and it was based on what they believed in, heard or experienced. 

Some grootmans taught me to never fully commit to one woman as women cannot be trusted. They gave me all sorts of stories to support the idea that women cannot trusted.

Some grootmans taught me to never date one woman because they believe that one woman cannot satisfy a man. Hothwe monna ke mokopu wa naba. Monna ke selepe wa kadimisana. Some grootmans instilled in me a belief that marriage is not something i should aspire for because marriage is an application for slavery. Bare nyala otla nyela.

But as i grow order i'm starting to realise that the grootmans i grew up around had different missions in life and they came from different backgrounds. Some wanted to build families while some were simply against the idea of a family. Some preferred serious relationships while some preferred fucking around until they die. Isoka Lamanyala!!

At some point in my life i had to sit down with everything that i have learnt and start questioning myself about my mission in life. That's when i knew immediately that i need to unlearn a lot of things that i have learnt from "emajiteng" in order to lead the life that i want. Unlearning is important to break down the origins of our thoughts, attitudes, behaviors, feelings, and biases. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STORY | Unisa launches an online secondary school

FEATURE | Meet Dr Lettah Sikhosana (27), an inspiration to many Unisans

STORY | Zoom signals the end of an era for work from home phenomenon